Eleven Foods That Will Help Keep You Full
By Carlton Ryan
Many of us eat too much. The average person would be healthier if they ate less everyday. Of course, doing so is hard. Among the myriad difficulties is hunger. If you try to eat less, you may feel as if you are starving much of the time. Hunger makes it much harder to resist the temptation to consume unhealthy foods, and hunger pangs can make you cranky, unfocused, and unhappy.
One of the best solutions is to consume more foods that keep you full. While self-discipline and restraint will always be necessary, a diet full of nutritious, hunger reducing foods can make eating well easier. Listed here are the eleven best foods for keeping you full and satisfied.
1. Beans. This food is high in both complex carbohydrates and protein. Complex carbohydrates take a long time for your stomach to break down, meaning you will feel fuller for longer. Beans are also healthy in general, as they contain large amounts of fiber and disease preventing antioxidants.
2. Greek yogurt. This trendy food is popular for reason. It’s tasty — and very healthy. Normal yogurt is already high in protein, and Greek yogurt’s protein content is roughly twice as high. Consuming protein causes your body to signal your brain you are full, helping you feet satiated. Select a low-fat, plain brand of Greek yogurt for optimal health value.
3. Oatmeal. Whole-grain oatmeal is an ideal breakfast food because it has a high level of fiber. Fiber takes a long time to digest, helping your body stave off hunger for longer. This will let you concentrate on your work through the morning without being distracted by hunger pangs. Fiber is also vital for a healthy metabolism.
4. Eggs. Another good breakfast choice, eggs will keep you full and satisfied because of their high protein value. With a relatively low number of calories, eggs are a good way for the weight-conscious to fill up without risking weight gain. Eggs also contain vitamins and vitamin D.
5.Soup. The ingredients of soup can vary widely, so soup’s ability to keep you full doesn’t rest on its nutritional value. Instead, the important aspect is that soup is mostly water. Liquids fill your stomach up and make you feel as if you’ve eaten more. Naturally, homemade soups filled with vegetables will be better for you than store-bought soups.
6. Almonds. These nuts are rich in good fats that help you stay full for longer. Healthy, unsaturated fats contain an oil called oleic acid. This substance causes the body to tell the brain it is full, reducing your appetite. Almonds are also nutritious because they possess magnesium and vitamin B.
7. Quinoa. This grain has gained a reputation recently as a ‘super food’. It is indeed healthy, and will curb hunger because of its large amount of fiber. Quinoa also contains more protein than other grains and is a complex carbohydrate, making it even better for suppressing appetite.
8. Pistachios. Nuts like pistachios make for a great on-the-run food. They are rich in protein and fiber, and also contain healthy monounsaturated fat. As far as snack foods go, pistachios are the rare choice that is natural, nutritious, and filling.
9. Apples. Apples have lots of water and fiber, which both keep you feeling full to the brim. Staying hydrated reduces hunger because the body can interpret dehydration as hunger, while fiber is digested slowly. Apples are also low-calorie and are one of the foods with the most disease fighting antioxidants.
10. Turkey. Lean proteins like turkey are ideal for making you feel satiated and calming your appetite. Turkey also contains the amino acid tryptophan, which is famous for causing sleepiness after Thanksgiving. As it turns out, tryptophan also makes the brain reduce feelings of hunger.
11. Raspberries. Another fruit that will kill your appetite, raspberries surpass many other fruits in this regard because raspberries have more fiber. Raspberries also have a large amount of water and are low in calories.The fruit is also generally healthy because it contains vitamin C (which is vital for a healthy immune system) and antioxidants.
As you can see, there are numerous foods that will keep you satisfied and full. Since practicing self-control when you are ravenous is very difficult, eating foods that will stop you from being too hungry in the first place is wise. Better yet, most of these hunger calming foods are as delicious as they are healthy. Eating well doesn’t have to be miserable — so if you want to stay full longer, consume these eleven appetite reducing foods.